The skin is an important organ and the largest in the human body. Its smooth, supple surface is usually a healthy pink colour but can be affected by many different factors such as age, diet, or weather. Smooth, healthy skin without dryness or wrinkles is a quality dream for most people. In the United States, over 200 million people are suffering from some sort of skin problem. The International Dermatology Research Group has estimated that approximately 80% of all Americans suffer from some type of skin problem and 25% suffer from chronic skin problems (International Dermatology Society). More than 90% of all dermatologists in the United States recommend three basic steps to help improve the appearance and health of their patients’ skin: 1) Proper cleansing 2) Proper moisturising 3) Proper sun protection. The use of mustard oil in skin care is a relatively new concept with research beginning in the 1970s. Order pure mustard seed oil and use it on your body to notice the changes overall.
Benefits of using mustard oil as skincare:
- Mustard oil is antibacterial, and antifungal, and decreases inflammation.
- Mustard oil’s antimicrobial properties can help treat acne by providing relief from the redness and irritation caused by pimples.
- Mustard seed is a natural emollient that moisturises and softens skin.
- Mustard oil is rich in fatty acids, vitamin E, and antioxidant olive phenols which help to prevent premature ageing of the skin.
- Mustard oil helps to promote collagen formation and improves skin elasticity.
- Mustard oil reduces the appearance of cellulite by providing skin with moisture and softness.
- Mustard seed oil contains linoleic acid which helps to maintain healthy lymphatic flow.
- Mustard Oil is a natural moisturiser that can also be used to soften, soothe and heal skin irritations caused by diaper rash, irritations from various medications, bug bites or insect bites, poison ivy, and sunburns.
- Mustard oil contains natural antioxidant compounds and thus is a great oil to use on skin that shows signs of premature ageing such as fine lines.
- Mustard oil increases blood circulation to the skin and helps rejuvenate it.
- Mustard oil is a powerful antibacterial agent and can help clear out a bacterial infection, which in turn may lead to an improvement in skin appearance and health.
- Mustard seeds stimulate the immune system that can help prevent secondary infections from developing after a primary infection has been treated with antibiotics. Keeps the skin clear from bacteria, viruses, or fungi and prevents inflammation of the skin from being aggravated when exposed to poisons.
Other uses of mustard oil for a healthy lifestyle:
- For healthy skin, hair, and nails: Applying a blend of mustard seed, coconut, and olive oil twice daily to the scalp has been found to help improve hair growth rate by 100% in one month.
- For a healthy heart: Mustard oil contains many nutrients that support cardiovascular health including Linoleic acid which helps maintain healthy cholesterol levels and Omega 3-9 fatty acids which fight inflammation. The antioxidants in mustard oil also help to lower the risk of blood clots and heart attacks.
- Mustard oil is a natural diuretic that can help reduce water retention caused by various medications or constipation.
- For a healthy respiratory system: Mustard oil contains thymoquinone that helps the body to fight off viral infections of the upper respiratory tract.
- For healthy bones: Mustard oil contains calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and silicon that help to strengthen bones and prevent osteoporosis.
- For a healthy liver: Mustard oil can help to improve liver function by helping it to process fats (including cholesterol).
Mustard seeds are a hot spice and can cause a lot of inflammation. It is suggested that you not use mustard seeds or spicy foods during pregnancy. The seeds have been found to cause harm in some cases when in contact with the eyes or sensitive skin areas. Buy cold-pressed croton oil and use it along with mustard oil for better skin care measures.